>> Sunday, April 13, 2008
I haven't done a recipe for a while and this seems to be our new favorite dessert so I thought I would share!
Chocolate Coconut Cream Pie
* 3 cups half-and-half
* 2 eggs
* 3/4 cup white sugar
* 1/2 cup all-purpose flour
* 1/4 teaspoon salt
* 1 1/2 cup flaked coconut, toasted(save the 1/2 for the garnish)
* 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
* 1 (9 inch) Oreo pie crust
* 1 cup Whipping cream(homemade, from a can, cool whip whatever you want)
1. In a medium saucepan, combine half-and-half, eggs, sugar, flour and salt. Bring to a boil over low heat, stirring constantly. Remove from heat, and stir in 3/4 cup of the coconut and the vanilla extract. Pour into pie shell and chill 2 to 4 hours, or until firm.
2. Top with whipped topping, and with remaining 1/4 cup of coconut.
3. Note: To toast coconut, spread it in an ungreased pan and bake in a 350 degree F (175 degrees C) oven for 5 to 7 minutes, or until golden brown, stirring occasionally.
****The toasted coconut I put in the pie, I rub through my hands a little first to break it up a bit. The rest I put on top as a garnish just as it is****